Jamie Burns is a Director in McAllister & Quinn’s Research Universities Practice. In this role, she provides strategic intelligence (SI) support to the firm’s university clients. In addition, she works to provide clients with analyses of federal sponsors and programs as well as insights about the landscape of university competitors and collaborators.
Prior to joining McAllister & Quinn, Jamie worked as a Senior Strategic Intelligence Analyst at Arizona State University (ASU). In this role, she increased the diversity and sophistication of SI work at ASU. Jamie is skilled at assessing institutional performance and capacity, defining and analyzing the competitive landscape in key areas of national interest, and growing research dollars by increasing the competitiveness of proposals to federal sponsors.
Jamie earned an M.P.A from Columbia University and a B.A. from the University of Arizona. Jamie is certified by the Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP) Organization as a Certified Analytics Professional (CAP). She is a member of the National Organization for Research Development Professionals (NORDP) and serves on NORDP’s Program for External Evaluation of RD (PEERD).
Affiliations and Awards
- National Organization of Research Development Professionals, Program for External Evaluation of RD (PEERD) – Consultant
- NSF-funded Center for Research, Excellence, and Diversity in Team Science (CREDITS) – Community of Practice Member
- Competitive Intelligence Working Group – Consultant
- Strategic and Competitive Intelligence Professionals (SCIP) – Certified Analytics Professional
Publications and Events
- International Market & Competitive Intelligence Magazine (2021)
- Publication: “A Data-Informed Approach to Targeted Engagement with Universities”
- National Organization of Research Development Professionals Conference (2021)
- Presentation: “Creating Cohorts to Advance University Research Initiatives”
- Presentation “Scenario Planning: Building Resilience in Uncertain Times”
- Panel: “How Can the Growth of Open Science Contribute to Your Research Development Efforts?”
- International Competitive & Market Intelligence Conference (2021)
- Presentation: “A Data-Informed Approach to Targeted Engagement with Universities”
- National Organization of Research Development Professionals Conference (2019)
- Presentation: “They’re Doing What? Competitive Intelligence in Higher Education”
- National Organization of Research Development Professionals Conference (2018)
- Poster Presentation: “Conducting Scenario Planning to Provide Actionable Intelligence When Outcomes and Impacts are Uncertain”